Skip to main content

How do you apply for parental leave?

You apply for parental leave via SPOC


How to apply for parental leave

Through you inform Educational Law & Registration, that you want parental leave and whether it should be as parental leave dispensations or parental leave of absence. You also need to inform in which period you want to take the parental leave.

  • If you would like a parental leave dispensation, you need to select “final credit and paternal leave dispensations” in SPOC.
  • If you want leave because of parental leave, you need to select “leave of absence” in SPOC.

In both cases, you need to attach a scan of your maternity journal or the birth certificate.

Please note! Except for students studying at the Faculty of Engineering. Here you need to apply to your own study board, if you want parental leave dispensations. If you want leave because of parental leave, you still need to apply through 


What happens after Educational Law & Registration has processed application for leave of absence?

When Educational Law & Registration has processed application for parental leave, you will be notified through your student e-mail about which dispensations exist for your course of study.


You might possibly contact your student counselling

It might be a good idea to discuss your parental leave plans with the counsellor in your programme. There might be circumstances in your programme that you should be aware of. For instance, there might be subjects that it might make sense to try to finish despite parental leave.


Do you need support? 

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).


Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions. 

Last Updated 04.12.2018