Skip to main content

Personal finances during sabbatical leave

State Education Grant and Loan Scheme (SU) during sabbatical leave

You are not eligible to receive state education grants or loans during the period of sabbatical leave.

Your SU will stop from the end of the month where you receive sabbatical leave. If you receive sabbatical leave from the first day of a month, the SU will stop from this date. As the SU is paid out in advance, it is possible that you might receive a monthly payment of SU at the beginning of the leave period. As you have not been granted this monthly payment, you will have to pay it back to the Danish Agency for Institutions and Educational Grants.

If the period of  sabbatical leave is longer than 6 months, you need to apply for SU again. 

When you reduce/interrupt the leave, you will also need to apply for SU again. 

You will receive the middle neutral margin during sabbatical leave.

If you are applying for leave in order to work, you should consider if it might be better not to receive SU-payments instead. It is for instance a possibility, if you want to raise your middle neutral margin, because you make money beside your studies but still want to be able to take exams. 


SU and sabbatical leave due to parental leave.

Note! If you take a sabbatical leave due to parental leave, you can contact the SU-office for more guidance. You can contact the SU-office here and read more about parental leave here.


Supplementary benefits when you have a sabbatical leave

Normally, you cannot expect to receive supplementary benefits during the leave period. You can get more information about your possibilities at your job centre or your unemployment insurance fund. 

A bachelor’s degree can be admitted into the unemployment insurance fund as a graduate. In order to be able to receive unemployment insurance benefits, you need to fulfil a number of conditions. For information regarding supplementary benefits while on sabbatical leave, please consult your unemployment insurance fund.


Do you need support? 

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).


Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions. 

Last Updated 05.12.2018