Skip to main content

Unusual exam conditions

If you want to apply for a dispensation in relation to examination

It is important that you get any dispensations sorted out in due time before the exam. You also need to find out if there are any special deadlines.

Examples of circumstances requiring dispensation:

  • If you wish to withdraw from an exam, you need to send a reasoned application to your academic study board including relevant documentation, e.g., a doctor's certificate.
  • If you wish to have the exam extended, you need to send a reasoned application to your academic study board including relevant documentation, e.g. a doctor's certificate.
  • If you wish to use a computer or other materials in an exam where this is not already part of the allowed materials, you need to be aware that there are different regulations at each faculty. Therefore, always ask your academic study board or your department.
  • If you would like to be placed in a special room or have other requests regarding exam conditions, you need to send a motivated application to your study board.

Read more about dispensation here

Special exam conditions

If you have a mental illness diagnosis or a physical disability, or if you are dyslexic or dyscalculic you can apply for special exam circumstances. Special exam circumstances are also a type of dispensation. SDU can offer this in cases where the university assesses that it is necessary in order to put you on the same footing as others in the exam situation.

It is a condition that this offer does not lead to a change in the level of the examination. The process for applying is the same as described above.

Read more about special exam conditions here


If you already have a dispensation

If you have a dispensation for an exam, you need to bring it and show it to an invigilator.

If you bring along extra equipment, such as special programmes, headset or scannerpen, you need to bring written documentation for your dispensation from your study board, and possible grant letter from the State Education Grant and Loan Scheme.

If you have received a dispensation for special pieces of furniture that require a "furniture remover", you need to inform Technical Services at eksamensvagt@sdu.dkat the latest 8 days before the exam is held.


Do you need support? 

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).


Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions. 

Last Updated 29.11.2018