Skip to main content

If you want to complain about an examination

You can submit a written complaint about an examination. Your complaint needs to be substantiated

You are entitled to complain about examinations or other assessments. The complaint needs to be made in writing and substantiated. This means that you need to explain why you believe the assessment was wrong. The complaint needs to be addressed to the Dean and delivered at faculty administration.

Some of the faculties have a complaint form with guidance that you can find here:

If there is no complaint form, there are no other formal requirements than those described on this page. Please contact the counsellor for your course, if you have questions in regard to this.

You must submit your appeal no later than 2 weeks after the publication of the grades.


What can you complain about?

For instance, you can complain about:

  • Legal issues (have rules and legislation been abided by)
  • The examination basis (questions, assignments and similar matters)
  • Examination process (supervisor, classroom, dates, etc.)
  • The assessments (grades and comments)


What will SDU do after you have complained?

SDU will then process the appeal and gather all the necessary information. If the appeal concerns the evaluation or other matters that concern the evaluators, the University will immediately present the appeal to the evaluators whom as a rule have a deadline of two weeks to submit a statement concerning the evaluation etc. in the appeal.

SDU will, as a starting point in the case handling, reach a decision that will be in writing and reasoned. The decision can be concerning:

  • A proposition for a new evaluation (re-evaluation), however not in oral examinations
  • A proposition for a new examination (re-examination).
  • That the complainant is unsuccessful in the appeal

If the decision of the University is regarding a proposition for re-evaluation or re-examination, you must at the latest, two weeks after you have been informed of the decision of the University, accept the proposition for re-evaluation or re-examination.

We draw to your attention that the grade in the re-evaluation and re-examination can result in a lower grade than the first given grade.

Before you appeal, you can contact your examiner for an elaboration of your grade.

You can also contact The Counselling Centre, if you wish to talk anonymously with a student advisor about an examination whose result you are considering appealing.


Do you need support?

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).

Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions.

Last Updated 07.02.2024