Skip to main content

Do you need a leave of absence from your studies?

Receiving a sabbatical leave from SDU

Here you can read about what you need to do, if you become ill, have a child, or need to apply for a sabbatical leave from your studies for a different reason. The rules for applying for sabbatical leave are the same whatever your reasons for doing so.

Downland the  complete code of practice concerning leave of absence. Please note that the Danish version of the code of practice has legal precedent.  

Sabbatical leave due to parental leave.

If you are applying for a sabbatical leave because of parental leave, then you can read more in the section about parental leave here.

Apply for an exemption instead of sabbatical leave

If you need a break from your studies, but do not want to take or are not eligible for a sabbatical leave, you can consider applying for an exemption from your study board instead. Read more about dispensations here.


Do you need support?

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).

Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions.

Last Updated 07.02.2024