Skip to main content

Pre-approval of courses

Applying for pre-approval from your study board

To ensure that you get your study abroad period credited as part of your studies you will need to secure a pre-approval (forhåndsgodkendelse) from your Study Board (Studienævn). 

You must send a detailed course list pertaining to your exchange place to your Study Board (Studienævn). Each Study Board have specific rules that you need to be aware of. Check the website of your particular study for more information.

We have the following recommendations when applying for pre-approval (forhåndsgodkendelse):

  • Apply for pre-approval as early as possible
  • Apply for a broad pre-approval*
  • Report changes, if any, to the pre-approval as fast as possible to your Study Board.

*Including 1-2 back-up courses in case one or more courses are not approved. (Not applicable to students at the Faculty of Engineering)

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

No, you shall not sign up for courses at SDU, when you are applying for a pre-approval.

The exemption is, if you are planning to follow a course from SDU as a distance study (fjernstudie). Talk to your academic advisor about the procedure for this.

You need to apply for a cancellation of the pre-approval to your Study Board. You also need an approval from the Study Board to be allowed to register for courses at SDU.

If you already have a pre-approval, please look at the answer to the previous question.

If you do not have a pre-approval, you need to contact Student Services via SPOC.

If you fail a course, which your Study Board has pre-approved, you have two options:

  1. See if it is possible for you to take a re-examination at the host university
  2. Apply your Study Board for a cancellation of the pre-approval of the particular course and apply for permission to follow a course at SDU.
    • Your exam attempt from the host university course will not count as an attempt for the SDU course.
    • Be aware that a failed course can influence two requirements in the Study Progress Reform: study activity (studieaktivitet, bestå-krav) and time limits (tidsgrænser). If you have doubts about your specific situation, please contact your academic advisor.

You need to find a substitute course at the host university and apply for a pre-approval of the new course. 

Please note, that you should direct all questions related to pre-approval to your own Study Board.

Responsible for page: SDU International

Last Updated 21.07.2021