Skip to main content

Application to the host university

Once SDU International has nominated you, you will typically receive an email from the host university about the application procedure.

In case you do not hear anything, do not assume that everything is fine. Some universities expect you to follow their online application guidelines, so it is important that you are active in this process. If in doubt, you are welcome to contact SDU International.

Below, you will find relevant information in regards to the application to your host university.

After you have been nominated for an exchange place, you will need to apply for admission at the host university.

You will need to spend time obtaining the necessary documents, insurance, language test, visa, etc. It is a good idea to go through the host university’s admission requirements before you apply for the exchange place.

Most universities will send application information directly to students by email, so remember to check your SDU student email regularly (including the junk/spam folder). However, please be aware that not all universities send such information, so keep yourself updated on the university's website.

From time to time, universities will change their admission requirements, and it is hence not possible to include them all here. You will therefore need to check their websites carefully.

Good search words can be the university name + incoming exchange . This will usually take you to the university's website for incoming exchange students.

If you get an exchange place you will not pay for tuition.

However, you will still need to pay for various living expenses, insurance, travel, books, etc.

You may need to prove that you have sufficient funds in advance in order to be admitted to the host university. Documentation could be Danish SU, a bank statement, support from parents, grants, etc. Please check out the host university's requirements.

If you have been offered an exchange place via SDU International, you have automatically been awarded a grant to help you cover some of the costs. The grant depends on your destination.

SDU International will send you more information on the grant and the requirements to receive it, so remember to check your SDU student email.

Documentation that might be required

The host university might require you to hand in specific documents when you apply for exchange.

Examples of required documentation can be:

  • Letter of enrolment from SDU
  • Documentation of English skills
  • Reference letter
  • Motivational letter
  • Nomination letter
  • Approval of exchange
  • CV
  • Certified grade transcript


How to obtain the documentation

As an exchange student, you will automatically receive a document from SDU International confirming:

  • your enrolment at SDU
  • your nomination by SDU International
  • your English skills based on your acceptance to SDU


Please note that some universities might require you to complete an English language test, such as TOEFL or IELTS. Read more about the two tests in the section below.

A certified grade transcript can be ordered from Student Services via SPOC > Educational Law and Registrations > Verification of diplomas and transcrips

If a reference letter is required, we recommend that you reach out to one of your professors or the people in charge of your study programme and ask for their assistance, as SDU International cannot issue such letters.


Some universities require you to complete a certified English language test to be enrolled at the university. 

If you travel under the Erasmus or Nordplus programme, you will most likely not be required to take a language test before admission, but it is expected that you have adequate languages skills in the language of instruction.

There are different kinds of languages tests - each with a separate score system. The host university will state the minimum score to get admitted. The results can usually be forwarded directly to host university or verified by the host university online.

We recommended that you brush up on your English grammar and spelling before taking the test. Remember to sign up early; places are often booked quickly.


Some of the most common English language tests are TOEFL and IELTS:


TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language

TOEFL is the most widely recognized international language test. In Denmark, you can take the test at the test centers in Copenhagen or online.

For more information, visit


IELTS: International English Language Testing System

IELTS is almost as widely recognized as TOEFL. If your host university mentions the TOEFL test, you can often ask them whether they also accept the IELTS test. The test is offered in Copenhagen several times a year.

For more information, visit

Make sure to comply with the host university’s application deadline.

The deadline is usually stated in the application information sent directly to you (if the university sent you an application information email) and on the university's website for incoming exchange students.

Note that it typically takes 6-8 weeks for the host university to process your application. Final acceptance should always come from the host institution.


Last Updated 07.02.2024