Skip to main content

Study activity requirement at SDU

You must be an active student

You need to be an active student - study actively in order to retain the right to remain enrolled at SDU. Being an active student means taking classes and passing examinations.

All study programmes have an overall frame of 60 ECTS per year. It is the university's expectation that students follow this frame. As a minimum you need to pass 45 ECTS points every year to remain an active student.


What is the study activity requirement?

The requirement means that as a bachelor or master’s degree student enrolled 1st of September 2015 or later, you need to pass a minimum of 45 ECTS a year to remain an active student.

The study activity requirement of 45 ECTS will accumulate each year. You can read more about the accumulated study activity requirement here.


You might also need to pass at least one examination a year

You need to be aware that your programme (in addition to the study activity requirement) might also require you to pass at least one exam a year. If this is a requirement, this will appear from your programme regulations.

You also need to be aware that all programmes have time limits for the latest date your need to finish your education by. You can read about the time limits above.


If you have problems living up to the study activity

You can apply for dispensation from the rules if there are extraordinary conditions, or if you are an elite athlete, president for an organisation under Danish Youth Council, or an entrepreneur. If you have problems living up to the study activity rules, you can contact an adviser in your programme for advice.


Do you need support? 

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).


Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions. 

Last Updated 29.11.2018