Absence due to maternity or paternity leave follows the completely same rules as leave of absence in general
A leave of absence due to maternity or paternity leave is suitable for students who do not wish to follow courses or take exams and who have the possibility of receiving another type of financial support than SU, such as supplementary benefits .
Leave of absence due to maternity or paternity leave follow the normal rules for leave of absence. In other words:
- You cannot go to class during the period of leave.
- You are not allowed to take examinations during the period of leave.
- You are not eligible to receive state education grants or loans during the period of leave of absence. Please contact the SU-Office for more information about this. Link to the SU-office.
The rights granted by parental leave are as follows:
- As a pregnant mother, your deadline for finishing your studies will automatically be extended by one semester. As a partner to an expectant mother, the deadline for finishing your studies will automatically be extended by one semester. Read more about time limit rules here.
- Dispensation for minimum 1 activity a year
- Deferment of the first-year examination. Read more about the first-year examination here.
- Deferment of the study activity requirement. Read more about the study activity requirement here.
- As a student in the Faculty of Humanities, you can receive an exemption for automatic enrolment in the master’s thesis. Link to the humanities student counselling.
How to apply for a leave of absence due to parental leave
You apply for parental leave via spoc.sdu.dk. Read more about how to apply for maternity or paternity leave here.
Do you need support?
Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite, SPS and other services at SDU.
Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.
Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions.