With my research interests I cover a broad range of topics, ranging from the adaptation of microbial communities to seasonal or anthropogenic perturbations in lakes and soil ecosystems to archaeal lipids, including their biosynthesis and application in biotechnology.
A common theme in all my research projects is my interest in organisms of the domain Archaea, their physiology, their membranes, their biotechnological potential, their ecological importance and their interactions with other organisms in the environment.
I am using microbiological and molecular ecological methods to answer my research questions.
- Microbiology, environmental microbiology, molecular microbial ecology
- Microbiome structure and function in soil, marine and freshwater ecosystems
- Anthropogenic influences on microbiomes (climate change)
- Archaea, Thaumarchaeota, archaeal lipid metabolism, use of archaeal lipids for oral drug delivery
Eksempler på tidligere bachelor- og specialeprojekter
- Extracting lipids from novel sources for the use in liposomes (2018)
- Nitrifying Community in Mønsted Limestone Mines (2018)
- Carbon degradation and microbial community structure of flooded sediment cores (2017)
- Metabolomic analyses of hyperthermophilic Archaea (2017)
- Can ether lipids extracted from Sulfolobus islandicus improve the stability of liposomal drug carriers against stress factors of the human intestine? - An in-vitro study (2017)
- Does the manipulation of the human microbiome help with curing diseases? (2017)
- Succession of microbial community structure and biogeochemical processes in soil flooded with seawater (2013)
Mulige kommende projektemner
Projects in the following areas are available and I am happy to discuss details if your are interested.
- Microbial communities in lakes
- Microbiome changes in flooded soils (e.g. Gyldensteen Strand)
- Archaeal lipids and their use in the oral delivery of drugs
- Wastewater treatment plant projects (in collaboration with VandCenter Syd)
- If you have a crazy idea for a microbiological project that you want to do – I am all ears!
Virksomhedskontakter med henblik på virksomhedsprojekter
- VandCenter Syd
- Ørbæk Bryggeri