What are childbirth grant portions?
Childbirth grant portion are extra SU grant portions. Fathers can apply for 6 childbirth grant portions, and expectant mother can apply for 12 childbirth grant portions. If you are adopting, you must contact the SU-Office for further guidance.
Childbirth grant portions
Three different ways to have your childbirth grant portions
- Single portion – you get 1 childbirth grant portion per month (equivalent to one month of ordinary SU). Mothers can receive childbirth grants, as single portions for up to 12 months. Fathers can receive childbirth grants for up to 6 months. You are not obliged to be actively studying while receiving single portions, but you can, if you wish.
- Double portion – you get 2 childbirth grant portion per month (equivalent to two months of ordinary SU, before taxes). Mothers can receive childbirth grants, as double portions for up to 6 months. Fathers can receive double childbirth grants for up to 3 months. You are not obliged to be actively studying while receiving double portions, but you can, if you wish.•
Mixed portions – is a combination of ordinary SU grant portions, and childbirth grant portions. In a month with mixed portions, you will receive 1 ordinary SU grant portion, and one childbirth grant portion (equivalent to two months of ordinary SU, before taxes). Mothers can receive mixed portions for up to 12 months. Fathers can receive mixed portions for up to 6 months. When you receive mixed portions, you must remain active in your studies, and obtain full ECTS credits during the period. So no parental leave while receiving mixed portions (read more about study activity here).
Read more about the different type of childbirth grant portions on su.dk. (in danish only).
Childbirth grant portions as a mother
As an expectant mother, you can apply for 12 childbirth grant portions. You can apply three months before the month you are due.
The childbirth grant portions can begin two months before the month you are due.
You must log on to minSU to apply online. Click on "Søg SU" - "Fødselsklip videregående uddannelse” Then, enter SPOC and send the following documents to SDU’s SU Office:
- Receipt page from the application at minSU
- An updated medical record after week 22
NOTE! You can change the type of childbirth grant portions (single, double or mixed) while receiving the extra portions (e.g. change from double portions to single portions), but it is not possible to change the type of childbirth grant portion retroactively.Further reading about childbirth grant portions on su.dk. (in danish only)
Childbirth grant portions as a father
Additional SU as a provider, not possible when receiving childbirth grant portions
When you are receiving childbirth grant portions, you are not able to receive a supplement for providers at the same time.
Rules regarding the mutual exclusion of childbirth grant portions, and supplementary SU for provides can be found under conditions here.
- Are you eligible for parental pay while receiving SU?
Are you attending an admission course?
If you are attending an admission course, you are technically enrolled in a “Youth education” and you be able to apply for something called “birth rates”.
“Birth rates” exists as single rates or double rates.
More information is available here (in danish only): ”Becoming a parent while attending a youth education”.