NB! As of 3 February 2020, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises against all necessary travel to China. Despite of this (and because nobody knows what the situation will be in July), you can still apply for a spot at this summer school. Should you be nominated for a spot, we strongly encourage you to follow the recommendations of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If this means cancelling your stay, we will do our best to help you find an alternative (we cannot, however, promise you that we will be able to). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Nordic Centre at Fudan University in Shanghai is a collaboration between 27 Nordic and Chinese institutions. As SDU is a council member of the Nordic Centre, our students are provided with the excellent opportunity of participating in one of the two summer courses.
What can I study?
Undergraduate course: Chinese Politics and Society
Intensive two-week course (5 ECTS), 25 June - 8 July 2020
The course will provide you with fundamental knowledge about China's political landscape, its party state, and recent developments, including Beijing's international relations. No prior knowledge about China is needed, but a good command of written and spoken English is.
Graduate course: Business and Innovation in China
Intensive two-week course (5 ECTS), 10 July - 23 July 2020
The course is designed to provide students with an opportunity of gaining insight into the exciting and ever-changing business world in China. The course includes both an academic and a practical hands-on approach to business life in China. No prior knowledge about China is needed, but a good command of written and spoken English is.
How much do I have to pay?
You will have to cover travel expenses, accommodation, medical insurance, living expenses, and participation fee (1200 RMB ≈ 1170 DKK) yourself. When you apply for a spot at this summer school, you automatically apply for a grant from SDU's Internationalisation Fund of 3.500 DKK, which can help you cover some of your expenses.
How do I get a credit transfer for the course?
You must apply for preapproval of the course from your study board. This is done via SPOC. Once you receive your diploma, you must send this in via SPOC and you will then receive the credit transfer.
How do I apply?
Your application to the Nordic Centre summer school is entered here (search for “Fudan” in the application tool). This is also the portal through which you can apply for a European exchange spot for the academic year of 2020/2021.
Along with your application, you must submit this application form.
The deadline for submitting your application is 1 March 2020.
We have three spots and will distribute them evenly between students from the Faculty of Business and Social Sciences, Faculty of Humanities, and Faculty of Engineering.
Important information about how to prioritize your applications
If you are only interested in the summer school, this should be the only listing on your application. If you are interested in semester-long exchange as well, the summer school should be listed and prioritized among your exchange priorities. We will assess your application to the summer school in the same way that we asses applications for regular exchange. Therefore, you must - as always - carefully consider your priorities.
Below is an example of the allocation of exchange and summer school spots:
A student interested in both semester-long exchange and the Nordic Centre Summer School has submitted the following prioritisation:
1. priority: University of Groningen
2. priority: Stockholm University
3. priority: Nordic Centre Summer School
4. priority: Metropolitan University Prague
Based on the example above, the following scenarios could happen:
1. We offer you your first priority and you get to do your exchange at University of Groningen. You do not get a spot in any other of your priorities - not the summer school either.
2. We offer you your second priority and you get to do your exchange at Stockholm University. You do not get a spot in any other of your priorities - not the summer school either.
3. We offer you your third priority and you get to do summer school at the Nordic Centre in Shanghai. You do not get a spot in any other of your priorities - therefore, you are not offered a semester-long exchange spot, but only the summer school
4. We offer you your fourth priority and you get to do your exchange at Metropolitan University Prague. You do not get a spot in any other of your priorities - not the summer school either.
6. We cannot offer you any of your priorities. You can apply for remaining spots in the next round, which we will announce later.
I have questions!
Do not hesitate to contact us. You can find our contact details in the menu on the right-hand side.