COVID-19: Now we can see an end to the COVID-19 restrictions at our university
The holidays are just around the corner, the sun is shining – and now we can see an end to the COVID-19 restrictions at our university.
The government and a number of parties have agreed on a plan to phase out the COVID-19 restrictions over the next few months. For the universities, the agreement means that there will be a gradual normalisation of our everyday life beginning as of 14 June until full normalisation in August. You can read more on the website of the Ministry of Higher Education and Science.
The plan for normalisation is as follows:
As of 14 June 2021:
- Face masks and visors are no longer required at institutions of higher education.
- The social distancing requirement of 1-2 meters is lifted regarding the university's core activities: education, research and administration.
- The general advice on infection prevention with, for example, thorough ventilation, good hygiene and the use of hand sanitiser is maintained.
As of 1 August 2021:
- The requirement that students and employees must be able to document a negative test result when physically present on campus is lifted.
- The requirement that institutions of higher education have their own test capacity is lifted. SDU’s test capacity will only be maintained in July if there are teaching or examination activities at an SDU location.
- For social activities on campus, the social distancing requirement of 1-2 meters still applies, but SDU expects the authorities to lift the requirement in mid-August.
- In connection with celebrations of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD degrees and the like, SDU is awaiting further guidelines from the Ministry of Higher Education and Science.
Especially for students
When reopening, SDU will not change the previously announced framework for teaching and examinations for the rest of this semester. The reason for this is to create predictability for students during the examination period in June.
Especially for employees
As previously announced, an attendance of 100% is allowed for employees who have already been approved for access to SDU’s locations due to critical work assignments, conducting teaching and examinations or PhD activities.
For the rest of the employees, the guidelines for public employees remain in effect, which means that as of 14 June, an attendance of 50% is allowed, while we can look forward to hallways bustling with employees as of 1 August, when the number rises to 100%.
Each employee will, together with his/her immediate manager, agree on the practical implementation of this phased return to campus. It is also important to emphasise that the reopening will be based on the principles of caution, inclusiveness and trust, which SDU’s management have applied in SDU’s COVID-19 efforts since March 2020.
Thank you for your efforts
On behalf of SDU’s management, I would like to thank you all for your huge efforts in complying with restrictions and helping SDU through the pandemic since March 2020. It has been a difficult period, and now we can look forward to a completely normal semester start in September 2021.
Have a great summer!
Thomas Buchvald Vind