Skip to main content

Illness during examination, including information on COVID-19

If you have fallen ill and the disease affects your ability to participate in one or more exams, you have several options.

Always remember to read our information on which documentation we require (at the bottom of the page) before contacting the university.

1. Has your exam not started?

If the exam has not started, you can apply to be unsubscribed from the exam. The application must be sent to your academic study board via SPOC.

2. Has your exam started?

If your examination has started, you can contact the university and discontinue your exam due to illness. You do this by writing to the university via SPOC.

If your exam is a written-in-situ-exam, contact an invigilator saying that you are sick. You must then sign a declaration that the exam has been discontinued due to illness.

Then you can contact the university and formally discontinue your exam, you do so by writing to the university via SPOC.

For all written exams, it is important that you do not submit anything for assessment. Do not hand in a blank paper or use "I will hand in a blank paper” function in "Digital Exam".

If you are at an oral exam, simply tell your assessor that you are interrupting the exam due to illness.

3. Do you fall ill during your master's thesis?

If the disease means that you cannot submit your master's thesis on time, you can contact your study board via SPOC and hear about your options.

4. Is your exam over? Or has deadline for submission passed?

If the exam is already over or if the deadline for submission has passed, without you having participated in the exam or submitted anything, you can still do something:

If you fell ill before the exam started, you can apply to be de-registered retroactively. The application must be sent to your study board via SPOC.

If you fell ill while the exam was in progress, you can apply to discontinue the exam retroactively due to illness. You do this by writing to the university via SPOC.

You must be able to document your illness

Whichever option you choose, you must be able to document that you are or were ill and therefore cannot or could not participate in the exam. It is your own responsibility to provide the documentation and, if necessary, to pay for it.

Documentation may include a medical certificate or the opinion of a hospital. You can read more about our requirements for the content of the medical certificate on our medical certificates page. Documentation may also be a postive test result. 

When should you contact your doctor at the exam?

We recommend that you contact your doctor no later than the day of the exam or the day  ofdelivery. If your doctor does not check on you no later than the day of the exam, they may  find it difficult to prove that you are ill. You may also need the documentation at a later stage during your education, so remember to save it.

Especially for COVID-19

Disease with COVID-19 is considered any other disease. If you are infected with COVID-19, you must follow the guidelines set out above. The same applies if you have a reasonable suspicion of being infected and therefore cannot participate in your exam.

If you are ill but cannot be allowed to appear with your doctor due to suspicions of infection with COVID-19, it is important that you agree with your doctor that you can have a consultation when COVID-19 is no longer suspected.  Alternativly you may send a positive testresult. 

If you are a close contact to a person who is infected with COVID-19 you may also be able to be de-registered to an exam. You must be able to explain why you think you are a close contact and you may also need to provide documentation for this. In adition you must also be able to explain that you have symptoms. SDU follows the guidelines on close contacts and selfisolation providede by the Danish Health Authorities - please consult this webpage on the matter


Read more about the   guidelines at SDU in relation to COVID-19 here.

Do you need support? 

Contact Educational Law & Registration if you have any questions regarding the above mentioned rules. You can do this either via or by calling at 65501059 (between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.).


Contact Student Services if you have questions about SU, Admission, SDU international, Syddansk Elite,  SPS and other services at SDU.

Contact the counselling at your studies if you need specific knowledge related to your study eg. knowledge about your study plan or how to write a dispensation application.

Contact the General Study counselling if you need guidance concerning general study topics such as study techniques, well-being or simply just find it hard to know who to go to with your questions. 

Last Updated 22.10.2020