Going abroad

There are many good reasons for doing a part of your programme abroad. Going abroad challenges you both academically and personally, it gives you the option of specialising in interesting subject areas, and employers often value stays abroad as an important qualification in job applications.

Read more about why going abroad could be a good idea

As a Computer science student you have many different exchange options. Below is a selection of exchange partners offering relevant courses:

École internationale des sciences du traitement de l'information (EISTI)

EISTI is a graduate school in Computer science and Mathematics engineering. Located a 35-minute train ride from Paris, the schooloffers English-language courses in Applied mathematics (Quantitative finance and risk management) and Computer science (Data analytics, data science and data architecture).

Read more about the EISTI

University of Kiel

The University of Kiel in northern Germany offers Mathematical finance courses in English. 

Read more about the University of Kiel

Siberian Federal University

The Siberian Federal University is located in Krasnoyarsk, one of the largest cities in the Russian region of Siberia. They offer English-language courses within Complex analysis, Econometrics, and Computer science.

Read more about the Siberian Federal University

University of Kaiserslautern

The University of Kaiserslautern in southwest Germany offers a wide range of  Mathematics and Computer science courses in English

Read more about the University of Kaiserslautern

Leiden University

Dutch university located a one-hour train ride from Amsterdam. Offers Mathematics and Computer science courses in English.

Read more about Leiden University

Nanyang Technological University

The Nanyang Technological University in Singapore offers courses in both Mathematics and Computer science

All courses are taught in English.

Chalmers University of Technology

Swedish university in Gothenburg. Offers many Master-level courses in English within the fields of Applied mathematics and Computer science.

Read more about Chalmers University of Technology

Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań (UAM)

The UAM in the Polish city of Poznań offers a number of Master-level courses  taught in English within both Computer science and Mathematics.

Read more about the UAM

University of Regensburg

The University of Regensburg in south-east Germany offers a wide range of Master-level Mathematics courses in English.

Read more

University of Udine

The University of Udine in northeastern Italy offers a wide range of Master-level Computer science courses in English.

Read more about the University of Udine

Frequently asked questions on going abroad

1. When can I go abroad?

A study abroad experience must be integrated into your study programme.

Going abroad on the 2nd semester of the Master's degree programme, when you have 30 elective ECTS at your disposal, grants you the greatest flexibility.

It is also possible to go abroad in other semesters; however, this requires more careful planning, as you will then have to replace mandatory courses in your SDU programme.

2. When should I start planning my stay abroad?

When pursuing a study abroad experience, you must address many academic and practical matters. Therefore, you should start planning in good time.

If you wish to go outside Europe, you should start planning at least a year in advance. However, we recommend that you start planning already 1½ years ahead of your departure.

If you wish to stay in Europe, you should start planning at least a semester ahead, though we recommend start you start planning a year in advance.

3. How much effort does it take to plan a study abroad experience?

You will have to address several academic and practical matters before your departure.

First of all, you must find relevant courses corresponding to 30 ECTS credits per semester for the study board to pre-approve. If the host university does not use the ECTS system, you must document the method of conversion into ECTS credits.

You must also apply for admission as an exchange or guest study at the host university.

Additionally, you must also find your own accommodation, take out any relevant insurance policies, make travel arrangements, apply for a residence permit etc.

It is also a good idea to check whether you are eligible for any grants or scholarships as a supplement to your travelling expenses.

4. Can I do a research project or my Master's Thesis abroad?

Yes, you can do a research project or your Master's Thesis abroad.

The easiest way to do this is to find a research group abroad who accepts  you as a guest and then sign up for the project at SDU with a main supervisor from your department. You must state in the project description that you wish to do the project or parts of it abroad.

Once your project description has been approved, you can apply SDU's Internationalization Fund for funding for a self-arranged stay abroad.

5. Can I do a company project abroad?

As an alternative to an exchange stay at a university abroad you can do a company project abroad.

A company project in a company or organisation outside Denmark is a good way to gain both practical experience and develop a more international profile.

6. How do I apply for an exchange?

1. Find out where you want to go. Feel free to ask the student counsellors or SDU International for advice.

2. Check if the potential host university offers relevant courses in a language that you master.

3. Apply for an exchange place through the application system. You can apply for as many exchange places as you wish – please remember to prioritise them according to your wishes. For each priority you must state which courses you wish to take if you are allocated a place at the university in question. This is only a preliminary plan, which is not binding.

4. Once you have been nominated for an exchange place, you must apply for pre-approval of credit transfer. Your application must state which courses you wish to take during your exchange and which SDU courses they will replace. Please include course descriptions.

5. When your courses at the host university have been pre-approved for credit transfer, you must apply for admission as an exchange student at the host university. Your application to the host university must reflect the exact courses which have been pre-approved by SDU.

7. How do I apply for scholarships?

There are many scholarships available to students wishing to go abroad. There are also many services that charge students for conducting a scholarship search on a student’s behalf. If you have the time, most of the scholarships can be found online for free.

There is no general rule of thumb on whether you are eligible for a scholarship. Some scholarships are available only to students from certain locations; some require applicants to be pursuing studies in a certain field or have a certain grade point average.

As with eligibility, there is no set rule on how to apply for scholarships. While some scholarships just require you to fill in an application form, others may require a specially written piece of work. However, most scholarships have one thing in common: You must enclose a realistic budget for your exchange.